Sunday, October 6, 2013

What Isn't Quantifiable

Recently I read an agency blog where one of the agents put out a call for submissions of a particular genre. What caught my eye was the need to include your number of Twitter followers, Facebook friends and blog page views.

Now I understand the need for social media influence and for agents to know you're active and you have the potential to grow your contacts into a tribe of influencers. That's not where I'm going.

I want to talk about that point we all reach (hello, brand new blog readers) where we realize no one is listening to us. We have to prove ourselves in this new world of branding and platforms and no one except those people with a million followers seem to know what that is, or how on earth to go about it.

We get mired in the NUMBERS. As though our worth is something that can be quantified. As though this:

or this:


or this:


will tell you anything about my worth as a human being.

So if that's you today, I'd like to share these verses with you:
For You did form my inward parts; You did knit me together in my mother’s womb. I will confess and praise You for You are fearful and wonderful and for the awful wonder of my birth! Wonderful are Your works, and that my inner self knows right well. My frame was not hidden from You when I was being formed in secret [and] intricately and curiously wrought [as if embroidered with various colors] in the depths of the earth [a region of darkness and mystery]. Your eyes saw my unformed substance, and in Your book all the days [of my life] were written before ever they took shape, when as yet there was none of them.How precious and weighty also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How vast is the sum of them! If I could count them, they would be more in number than the sand. When I awoke, [could I count to the end] I would still be with You.
(From Psalm 139)

I chose the amplified version, because I love how it likens the way we are made in our mother's womb to embroidery. On the back side the threads will look like a mass of tangles, cut-off ends and mis-matched threads, but on the front side the Maker is creating something beautiful. 

That's your worth. And mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment